Saturday, May 22, 2010

Muddy Trails

The trails at Wyco are very tough today or my body needed a little more rest. I started out like any other day, the first mile or so is slow while I am getting my breathing down and muscles back into motion. I have run this section many times and can usually burn through it. Todays run was a different story. To start I couldn't find running socks and had to run in regular cotton ones (ouch). Then once at the trail head I could still see water coming out of the path. Didn't think anything of it, hopped out of the car and was on my way. Two minutes in I had mud from toe to waist. Heavy mud at that. Legs are burning, socks are rubbing and I am thinking about turning back. Then it comes to me, in order to have fun I need to relax and just RUN!! I get to the turn around and there is a wonderful stream that is cool and refreshing and at this point I have turned my chrono off. I am just enjoying myself. Instead of staying on the trail I take a detour up the stream, all the while trying not to slip on the rocks. A fence ran across the creek about 100 yards in so I turned back. When I got to the trail I reach down and wash off my legs and arms in the creek. The water revitalized me and I was like a rubber band, or as the East Coasters like to call them Elastics, being squeezed off a rubber band gun. Would people from Maine then call it an Elastics Gun? From the stream I took off and climbed the three hills of hell. I felt as though I was running on ice or marbles in a slap stick movie. Just spinning the wheels but going no where. By the time I was closing in on the trail head I could have been compared to a Mudman from Woodstock. At the pavilion where I parked was a spigot so I proceeded to wash off and clean up my shoes. I stretched in a spot where the trees broke open and let the sun crash in. Even as tough as the run was I feel great and I can't wait to get out tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment